The Left-Handed Booksellers of London by Gareth Nix

3/5 stars 

Susan Arkshaw is looking for her father, someone she has never met before. While looking for him she goes to see Frank Thringley who she thinks can help her but before they can talk he is turned to dust by a man named Merlin. Merlin is a left-handed bookseller (one of the fighting ones) who with the right-handed booksellers (the intelligent ones) are an extended family of magical beings who police the mythic and legendary old world when it intrudes on the new world.

I had very high expectations for this book and went in expecting to love it as the premise sounded so cool and who doesn't love a book set in a bookshop. unfortunately, I didn't love the execution that much, the writing felt slightly juvenile and I rolled my eyes quite a bit at parts due to the style of writing. The characters were fun to follow and I enjoyed following them even though at times I wasn't entirely sure what was even happening as it felt like a hundred things were happening in a short space of time without fully explaining anything. the romance delt predictable but I loved watching it grow from the first page. Also, Susan was too trusting she saw Merlin turn a man to dust but immediately followed him and wasn't even a little bit afraid which confused me. 

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories