The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

 4/5 Stars

Zachary Ezra Rawlins is a graduate student in Vermont when he discovers a strange book hidden in the library stacks. As he turns the pages, entranced by tales of lovelorn prisoners, key collectors, and nameless acolytes, he reads something strange: a story from his own childhood. Bewildered by this inexplicable book and desperate to make sense of how his own life came to be recorded, Zachary uncovers a series of clues – a bee, a key and a sword – that lead him to a masquerade party in New York, to a secret club, and through a doorway to a subterranean library, hidden far below the surface of the earth.


This book took me over a year to get to and I'm so mad at myself for taking this long to read it. It has everything that i love in it, whimsical settings, a cute romance, three dimensional side characters, a library. While I have no idea what was happening or why it was happening and I was left with more questions then answers at the end, I didn't care at all as the writing and the characters were so interesting that it made up for the confusion. If you love whimsical confusing reads with no answer then this book is for you. 

Comments

  1. Looks fascinating! I saw many readers comparing this to The Night Circus. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually one of my favorite books! I read The Night Circus first and couldn't get into it, which led me to try the audiobook - which I loved! So, when I picked up The Starless Sea, I decided to go straight to the audiobook and I'm so glad I did. The full cast narration was brilliant. It doesn't particularly have a plot, just good vibes, and that totally worked for me. I think it's such a beautiful story. Almost reminded me of a bedtime story - but for adults!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This sounds like a really interesting and unique read, I love books which feature libraries and cute romances so I'll be sure to pick this up! Love that this left you with more questions than answers too, haha. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories