Those Who Lie by Diane Jeffrey

 4/5 Stars

*Spoilers*

Emily Kleine doesn't know she killed her husband until the day of his funeral. bit his death is just the beginning as things start to happen around her that makes her suspect that maybe her husband didn't die in the tragic accident after all. 

This isn't a book I would have normally picked up but thanks to A Box of Stories I was able to read this book. While the writing wasn't my favourite the plot and the characters definitely made up for it. The main character Emily is an unreliable narrator and I didn't know if I should trust her throughout the book, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her and root for her to win. There is a secondary timeline in this from the past which depicts Emily when she was younger and experiencing abuse from her father and the aftermath of when she kills her father as a result. This timeline was very difficult to read and I didn't really fully understand why it was necessary until the end of the book. The main timeline after the death of her husband wasn't as difficult to read and was very fast-paced and unputdownable. I thought I knew who was stalking her so many times and was wrong every time. I had guessed that it was her sister at one point but I had ruled her out after a bit which proves that I would be a terrible detective. The ending was very bittersweet as Emily has lost her sister but gained a new family.

Overall this was a fantastic read and I will definitely be reading from this author again in the future.

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories