Letters From the Dead by Sam Hurcom

 3.75/5 Stars

1905. A year after ‘the affair’ in Dinas Powys, Thomas Bexley has become a drunkard and recluse, haunted by terrible visions of the dead. But when news of a spate of extraordinary kidnappings reaches him, Thomas is shocked to learn that his dear friend and former mentor, Professor Elijah Hawthorn, is the lead suspect.

For the first 200 pages of this book, I was unsure about it as I didn't vibe with Thomas or did I vibe with Beatrice who I found kind of annoying. Because of this, it took me so long to even care about the plot and what was happening, I was about to DNF when the plot twist happened and I fell in love with the second half of the book. The plot twist was unexpected and came out of know where which I love in books. There is a part of the plot where you are unsure if you should trust the main character or not and I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what was happening.

Overall while I didn't like the first half and it took me too long to like the characters I think it will be a great read for someone who loves mystery and doesn't mind slow reads.

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories