Flames by Robbie Arnott


 3.25/5 Stars

A young man named Levi McAllister decides to build a coffin for his 23-year-old sister, Charlotte--who promptly runs for her life. A water rat swims upriver in quest of the cloud god. A fisherman named Karl hunts for tuna in partnership with a seal. And a father takes form from fire. A tale of grief and love and the bonds of family, tracing a journey across the island of Tasmania. Flames is utterly fresh and original, with spellbinding descriptions of nature.


This is going to be a pretty short review again as even though I read it only a couple days ago I'm not entirely sure what it was about or how to feel about it. I did enjoy the whimsical feel but I couldn't find myself caring about any of the characters or caring about what they were up to or if they were going to be ok. It was a short book so that's not overly surprising but I did want a bit more from the characters. 

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

My June TBR

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare

My May TBR

Delilah Green Doesn't Care by Ashley Herring Blake