Flames by Robbie Arnott


 3.25/5 Stars

A young man named Levi McAllister decides to build a coffin for his 23-year-old sister, Charlotte--who promptly runs for her life. A water rat swims upriver in quest of the cloud god. A fisherman named Karl hunts for tuna in partnership with a seal. And a father takes form from fire. A tale of grief and love and the bonds of family, tracing a journey across the island of Tasmania. Flames is utterly fresh and original, with spellbinding descriptions of nature.


This is going to be a pretty short review again as even though I read it only a couple days ago I'm not entirely sure what it was about or how to feel about it. I did enjoy the whimsical feel but I couldn't find myself caring about any of the characters or caring about what they were up to or if they were going to be ok. It was a short book so that's not overly surprising but I did want a bit more from the characters. 

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories