Allegedly by Tiffany D.Jackson

 4/5 stars

Mary B. Addison killed a baby.

Allegedly. She didn't say much in that first interview with detectives, and the media filled in the only blanks that mattered: a white baby had died while under the care of a churchgoing black woman and her nine-year-old daughter. The public convicted Mary and the jury made it official. But did she do it?

I honestly have no idea where to start with this review. Every time I've read a Tiffany D.Jackson book I'm always left with a what the fuck feeling and this time is no different. I never knew what to expect when I turned the page as there were plot twists after plot twists, some that I guessed but some that came out of no where. Mary is a character that you can't help but feel sorry for and want better for even when she does make a few questionable decisions. 

The ending came out completely of left field and for a while after I had no idea what to think or feel and it took me a while to even process.

This definitely isn't an easy read and you definitely need to be mindful of any trigger warning before going into this one.

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories