The Lost Future of Pepperharrow by Natasha Pulley

 4/5 Stars

1888. Five years after they met in The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, Thaniel Steepleton, an unassuming translator, and Keita Mori, the watchmaker who remembers the future, are travelling to Japan. Thaniel has received an unexpected posting to the British legation in Tokyo, and Mori has a business that is taking him to Yokohama.
Thaniel's brief is odd: the legation staff have been seeing ghosts, and Thaniel's first task is to find out what's happening. But while staying with Mori, he starts to experience ghostly happenings himself. For reasons Mori won't--or can't--share, he is frightened. Then he vanishes.

This is the second book in the Watchmaker of Filigree Street and I liked this one a lot more than the first one. I feel like the writing has improved from Natasha Pulley from the first book and I was able to follow it a lot better and was more attached to the characters in this one even if they do annoy me at times especially Mori when he refuses to tell Thaniel things that he needs to know. A lot of the conflict that happens between Thaniel and Mori could have been solved if Mori just talked to him more, however, I don't blame him for not wanting to tell him especially when we get the scene of them talking about halfway through the book where Mori explains slightly why he is acting that way.  I also loved the setting of Tokyo which I haven't read any books set in before and I definitely need to read more of in the future.

Comments

Other Viewers Liked

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.Harrow

How to Book A Murder by Cynthia Kuhn

My June TBR

My Favourite Classic Books

January 2022 A Box of Stories